Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Thirst for Knowledge



This was an incredibly brilliant, inspirational, and lively story. Ben Dunlap inspired me to spread his story to whoever reads this blog and to say a few words on it.

I cannot say that humans are born fundamentally good but I can say that every human does have equal potential to be fundamentally good. Environment and experience shape us into who we are. I wish I had more to say on this but I am a person of few words. Which I guess makes me concise but ineloquent.

Another part of Dunlap's story rings heavily on my ear. He declares that we should strive for knowledge no matter where it may be or how hard it may be to get there. Knowledge is divinely ordained on us. Our history tells us this. Even the Adam and Eve story can be seen as humankind's "good" fall. They were not punished for seeking wisdom. It was their mission. Thank God for that snake, that tempter, for helping us along to it. To me there is no greater passion than discovery and learning. This is why I have enthralled myself in ted.com as it has exactly that.

Writing this, I could not help but think of a verse in the 20th chapter of the Quran: "O my Lord! Increase me in knowledge". It does not say "give me knowledge" because we get that everyday. It is an invocation for more, a cry to quench the unquenchable thirst. This is sapien's goal in life.

What more can I say? This entire blog has this goal in mind. I hope you have learned something new from reading each entry. I know for a fact that it has helped me play my part in the struggle for more.
diigo it

1 comments:

Bobylon said...

Powerful stuff...

Blog Design | 2007 Arcade of the Scribe