Saturday, January 5, 2008

Knock Knock

"Two hunters are out in the woods when one of them collapses. He doesn’t seem to be breathing and his eyes are glazed.

"The other guy whips out his phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps: ‘My friend is dead! What can I do?’ The operator says: ‘Calm down, I can help. First, let’s make sure he’s dead.’

"There is a silence, then a shot is heard. Back on the phone, the guy says: ‘OK, now what?’"

I admit, it's not that funny. BUT, the data doesn't lie; overall, people love this joke. Yesterday I promised that I would deliver something more serious. And, here it is.

Psychologist Dr. Richard Wiseman - University of Hertfordshire - conducted the Laughlab Experiment as a scientific hunt for the world's funniest joke. Well, his team found it after reaching out to the global community. Dr Wiseman said the joke was interesting because it had global appeal. He said that jokes sometimes work for different reasons. He said that jokes "sometimes make us feel superior to others, reduce the emotional impact of anxiety-provoking situations or surprise us because of some kind of incongruity. The hunters joke contained all three elements" (full article).

I think it's a stupid joke... but I did find it funny that "Germans - not renowned for their sense of humour - found just about everything funny" (full article).

There are plenty of funnier jokes out there, so how about this idea. Share a joke with fellow readers below as a comment!

Now here is a Monty Python clip that many of you may recognize. Who's up for some 10 minutes of British comedy?


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lady went to the doctor with a problem. She told the doctor, "I fart continuously, but they're soundless and have no smell. In fact, I've farted 20 times since I've been in here".

The doctor gave her medicine and told her to come back next week if she still has a problem.

So she came back in a week. "Doctor, I'm still farting, they don't make a sound, but they smell horrible!"

And the doctor says, "ok, we've fixed your congestion, now to do something about your hearing"

--------------

this is from Sama's 10 year old brother.

Blog Design | 2007 Arcade of the Scribe